Your account name on each social media is the primary way that people find your business. The account name you use on each social media site is an important part of your business online branding and visibility. Here’s a strategy to help you secure your ideal account name on the various social media sites to help you put your business in the best possible position online.
- Before You Start: You are ready to jump into social media. Or, you are already using social media but realize that you need to claim your business name on other social media sites as you plan for future expansion.
- Learning level: 2 | Getting Started
- Article Last Updated: Thursday, April 4, 2013
Social Media Account Names
You want to make it very easy for your existing customers and other people who know your business to find you on social media. This means that your social media account names are important. In the early days of social media, it was easier to get your ideal account names on each site. Now that many businesses are adding accounts, you may find that you have to compromise to set up accounts on some of the most popular sites.
While there are paid services that will register your business name on many social media sites, this is something you can do for yourself for free. Here’s how to secure your business name on multiple sites for free.
- Make a short list of ideal account names. Include your business name, product brand, as well as short versions of your names (when appropriate).
- Make a list of the most important social media sites for your business. Most businesses only use a handful of social media sites, and the most commonly used sites are Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. If your business has a physical location, you should also check location-based services like Foursquare and Whrrl. You should also list any specialized social media sites for your industry.
- Use an account name tool. Search for your ideal account name across multiple sites and see where you name is still available. Pay careful attention to the availability of your ideal account name on the list of important social media sites for your business. When possible, you want to use the same account name on all of these sites. However, if your ideal name isn’t available, check for variations on your list of ideal account names.
- Set up your social media accounts. Even if your business isn’t ready to start using all of the social media sites in your important site list, take the time now to set up your account so you can reserve your ideal account name. The name may not be available if you wait to set up your account when you are ready to use each tool.
Social Media Account Name Tools
Fortunately, there are tools that help you to find your desired account name across multiple social media sites quickly and easily.
- Knowem? Searches over 400 social media sites, as well as available domain names.
- Namechecklist. Searches 12 of the most popular social media sites, as well as domain names.
- Namechk. Searches more than 150 social media sites.
You don’t need to reserve your ideal account name on every possible social media site. Most businesses only use a handful of social media sites.
Your turn: Does your business use the same account name across multiple social media sites? Did you have a problem getting your ideal account name on a social media site? Share your experience.