Get A Custom Facebook Web Address (Username)

When you first get your business Facebook account, Facebook assigns you a web address (URL) that is long and ugly.  After your business page has more than 25 people who like it, you can get a shorter, more efficient web address by selecting a username.

• Before You Start: You have a business Facebook page with at least 25 people who like your page. You must be the administrator of the Facebook page.
  • Learning Level: 3 | Building Skills
  • Article Last Updated: Thursday, April 4, 2013

Your Facebook Business Page Username

When you first create your business Facebook account, Facebook lets you select a page name that it uses to create your Facebook official page web address (URL).

For example: www.facebook.com/pages/yourbusinesspagename/99999999999

Effective September 14, 2011, you can request a business page username right away. No more waiting until you have 25 people who like your page. After your page has at least 25 people who like it (Facebook used to call these people your fans), you can select a username for your Facebook business page and change your Facebook web address. Facebook realizes that it is easier to promote your business with a short, meaningful web address. Shifting from the original page name to a username gives you a better web address.

For example: www.facebook.com/yourbusinesspagename

Many business page administrators search for information about getting a customized web address in the Facebook help center. But because Facebook talks about this as getting a username for your business page, it is hard to find information that explains usernames for business pages.

There are rules for getting a business page username.

• Only a page administrator can request the page username.
  • Each page username must be unique. Facebook checks your username request to make sure it is available. If it isn’t available, you must select a different username.
  • You can only change from a page name to a business page username one time. That means that if you make a mistake, a typo, or change your mind, you cannot change your business page username. Be careful!

When you select your username, keep in mind that it should be consistent with your branding so that your customers can easily find you on Facebook.

Add An Official (Business) Page Username

To add a username to your Facebook business page.

1. Decide on your page username. You cannot change your username after you complete this procedure, so make sure you know what you want before you start.
  2. Display the Facebook username page (www.Facebook.com/username).
  3. Click Set a username for your Pages.
  4. Facebook provides a drop-down list of all official pages you administer. Select your business from the list.
  5. Type your desired Facebook username.
  6. Click Check availability.
  7. Facebook checks to see if your desired username is available. If it is not available, you must select a different username and return to Step 5.
  8. Read the warning message. Make sure that you have typed your desired username correctly because you can’t ever change it.
  9. Click Confirm.

Facebook changes your official page username and it’s web address. People can now find your business at the new web address.

Do you like this article? Then subscribe to my newsletter.

Your turn: Have you selected a username for your business page? Share your experience with the community.

Related Articles:

Article categories: ArticlesFacebookLevel 3
Article tags:

About author:

Charlene Kingston is the small business person behind the Social Media DIY Workshop.

16 Responses to “Get A Custom Facebook Web Address (Username)”

1. Karen Burns says:

Ulp. I got confused on the very first step. Display your user name? How do you do that??

2. Charlene says:

Hi Karen. I’ve given you the link in step 2. It’s a special Facebook page for creating usernames. Just click on the link in the instructions. That puts you in the right starting place. The rest of the instructions flow from that page.

3. Karen Burns says:

Ah. Thanks. Figured it out…..

4. Charlene says:

Glad to hear you figured it out, Karen.

5. Sharon Huff says:

Thanks for this page and your easy-to-understand instructions. I tried this and was thinking — this is easy — until the Availability check. The process came to a halt when a message informed me I can only use:

“Usernames can only contain A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and periods (.)”

and it wouldn’t let me continue.

The custom username I was trying to get is: Museum of Litter

Seems to me it fits within their criteria, I am the admin and there are 25+ ppl who like it. Any ideas? Thanks. Sharon

I don’t see

6. Charlene Kingston says:

Were you typing spaces, Sharon? A space isn’t allowed. Try it again and let me know what happens.

7. Sharon Huff says:

Charlene, you got it. I was typing spaces. Silly mistake on my part, brilliant deduction on yours. Thank you!!!

8. Charlene Kingston says:

There are no silly mistakes, Sharon. Sometimes, we get so focused on the hard parts that we mess up on the easy parts. That’s all. Glad you have it figured out. And I love your Facebook page.

9. Supang says:

Hi Charlene, my facebook account still has less than 25 likes so far, and I understand that I should be able to get the new username as I want to promote my facebook page.
    However, when I tried to get a code before I can create the new username by filling the mobile no., it says…”Sorry, we have already tried texting multiple codes and they all seem to have failed.” I tried other number, but it came out the same.. what should I do? Thank you so much in advance..

10. Charlene Kingston says:

I’m sorry that you are having trouble, Supang. Unfortunately, I can’t help. You need to contact Facebook to get help. I can’t give you the exact link because it doesn’t work that way. Go to the help center, and look for the option about reporting a problem. Good luck!

11. Rafik says:

Hi Charlene,
    Your tips are out of this world!!! Your blogs and your free video tutorials are so helpful. I can’t believe you actually give this info for free. In my country, some companies actually charge for this info.

Your effort and hard work to provide these info is much appreciated. God bless.
    Warm Regards
    Rafiq

12. Charlene Kingston says:

You know, Rafiq, many people in the US also charge for this information. My goal is to help as many people as possible, especially the ones who are working very hard on a limited budget. I trust that some of the people who love what I do can afford to pay for my other services. And they do. I’m grateful to be part of the success of so many.

13. Josh says:

Hi Charlene I have a problem where when you click the area in settings to change or set up an address the menu item appears and disappears straight away. Contacting facebook directly always seems difficult at best so I thought I would see if you have heard of this issue before. I basically cannot do it and definitely fit into the criteria from what I can see. Anyway no idea how I can get help on this.

14. Charlene Kingston says:

Sorry for the late response to this, Josh. It got caught in my spam filter.

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the problem you are having. The only people who can help you are at Facebook. You might try the forum area in the help center to talk to another Facebook user who might have an answer.

15. Sue Daniels says:

We have a facebook ‘page’ rather than a profile on FB (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkland-Estate-Agency-Limited/301786829926575) of which I am the manager.

I have tried hundreds of times to establish a username (business name) for our page – every suggestion I use comes up as unavailable, yet if I type them in as a URL in a new tab it says Sorry, this page isn’t available, link broken or page removed.

I am at my wits end with this – any suggestions or ideas where I may be going wrong?

16. Charlene Kingston says:

Hi Sue,

When a username has been used and the page is deactivated, Facebook actually holds the page in memory in case the people come back and reactivate it. You can keep trying to get the username you want (and it might become available) or you can come up with an available alternative. Neither option is perfect. Good luck to you!