When you first get your business Facebook account, Facebook assigns you a web address (URL) that is long and ugly. After your business page has more than 25 people who like it, you can get a shorter, more efficient web address by selecting a username.
- Before You Start: You have a business Facebook page with at least 25 people who like your page. You must be the administrator of the Facebook page.
- Learning Level: 3 | Building Skills
- Article Last Updated: Thursday, April 4, 2013
Your Facebook Business Page Username
When you first create your business Facebook account, Facebook lets you select a page name that it uses to create your Facebook official page web address (URL).
For example: www.facebook.com/pages/yourbusinesspagename/99999999999
Effective September 14, 2011, you can request a business page username right away. No more waiting until you have 25 people who like your page.
After your page has at least 25 people who like it (Facebook used to call these people your fans), you can select a username for your Facebook business page and change your Facebook web address. Facebook realizes that it is easier to promote your business with a short, meaningful web address. Shifting from the original page name to a username gives you a better web address.
For example: www.facebook.com/yourbusinesspagename
Many business page administrators search for information about getting a customized web address in the Facebook help center. But because Facebook talks about this as getting a username for your business page, it is hard to find information that explains usernames for business pages.
There are rules for getting a business page username.
- Only a page administrator can request the page username.
- Each page username must be unique. Facebook checks your username request to make sure it is available. If it isn’t available, you must select a different username.
- You can only change from a page name to a business page username one time. That means that if you make a mistake, a typo, or change your mind, you cannot change your business page username. Be careful!
When you select your username, keep in mind that it should be consistent with your branding so that your customers can easily find you on Facebook.
Add An Official (Business) Page Username
To add a username to your Facebook business page.
- Decide on your page username. You cannot change your username after you complete this procedure, so make sure you know what you want before you start.
- Display the Facebook username page (www.Facebook.com/username).
- Click Set a username for your Pages.
- Facebook provides a drop-down list of all official pages you administer. Select your business from the list.
- Type your desired Facebook username.
- Click Check availability.
- Facebook checks to see if your desired username is available. If it is not available, you must select a different username and return to Step 5.
- Read the warning message. Make sure that you have typed your desired username correctly because you can’t ever change it.
- Click Confirm.
Facebook changes your official page username and it’s web address. People can now find your business at the new web address.
Your turn: Have you selected a username for your business page? Share your experience with the community.