Manage Your Facebook Event

Facebook allows you to maintain your event information before and after the event. This is the third article in our series about creating Facebook business events.

Manage Your Facebook Event

Facebook features allow you to manage your event and guest list.After creating your Facebook event and inviting people, there are still things you can do with your event before the event date.

• Update Event Details. At any time, you can update the event details and features. Click Edit Event. From here, you can edit the event information.
  • View The Guest List. You can view a list of all RSVPs that includes separate lists for people who are attending, might attend, declined, have not yet responded, and blocked. Click See All or View and choose the RSVP status from the drop-down list under View Guest List window name to see this information.
  • Remove People From The Guest List. You can remove anyone from the guest list in any RSVP status. To remove a person, display the guest list, locate their name in a guest list, hover the mouse over their name, click X (remove), and click Okay to confirm.
  • Block People From The Event. You can ban a person from the event. To block someone, display their name in a guest list, click X (remove), click the Ban Permanently checkbox, and click Okay to confirm. You can see a list of blocked people in the Blocked status in the guest list.
  • Message People Who Like Your Page. You can send out a message to all or some of the people who like your page. Click Update Fans Of, type the message, and click Send. To restrict which people receive this message, check Target This Update checkbox and provide geographic or demographic restrictions.
  • Add An Additional Event Administrator. The person who created the event is automatically added as the event administrator. You can add other administrators to help you manage the event. View the guest list for any RSVP status, locate the person in the list, and click Make Admin.
  • Cancel The Event. If you need to cancel the event, click Edit Event, click  Cancel This Event, type a personal message, and click Okay. Facebook sends the message to everyone invited to your event.

Do you like this article? Then subscribe to my newsletter.

Your turn: Have you used any of these Facebook event management features? Share your experience here.

Related Articles:

Article categories: ArticlesEventsFacebookLevel 3
Article tags:

About author:

Charlene Kingston is the small business person behind the Social Media DIY Workshop.

42 Responses to “Manage Your Facebook Event”

1. Carol says:

I have created an event, invited people. Some of the invitees can see it and some cannot. I have followed all of the steps correctly as I can see from the instructions. When I message the invited friends, some cannot see the message and it doesn’t even show up on my computer the following day after I have sent the message on the news feed or on the event page. Weird. Comments??

2. Charlene Kingston says:

Hi Carol. I know it’s frustrating when you expect something to work and it doesn’t. There are so many details I need to know before I could start to help you unravel this mystery. For example, did you create the event as your page? The way events work for a business vs. personal is huge, and I focus only on business use of Facebook.

Most people believe that everything they post appears in the news feed for their business page fans. That’s not the case, and it’s not the case even for friends. I’ve recently written an article about how to adjust your news feed to see all post (http://socialmediadiyworkshop.com/2011/05/does-anyone-see-your-facebook-posts/).

If you created your event as your business page, post the event (use the link option) on your business page wall. Then, click the date of the post to display the unique web address for that post. Then, send an email to every one using that web address. That’s the best way to communicate anything on Facebook.

3. Jenn says:

I have created several events on our PTA FB page. When I try to go back and change the time or date of the event, it won’t let me…I tried while using FB as me and as the page, but still no luck. and, yes, I am an admin so I should have the permission….any thoughts?

4. Charlene Kingston says:

That sounds frustrating, Jenn. When you create the event, Facebook considers you to be the event administrator. Are you able to perform other event administrator tasks, such as viewing the guest list and adding another administrator? (I don’t suggest that you actually add another administrator. I’m just asking if you have the ability to do it.)

5. Mike says:

Hi. I’ve created an Event, which is private. The event is tomorrow and I had all guests RSVP by this evening. If they wanted to add a non-invited person to the event the persons name was added to the event wall. My question: How can I now disable the wall so that no more guests are added?

6. Charlene Kingston says:

Hi Mike,

If there is a way to disable the wall, I don’t know it. What I recommend is that you post something on the wall that says the time is up and reservations are set. Even if someone posts after the deadline, their asseveration is not accepted. It becomes a manual process at that point.

Facebook doesn’t have the sophisticated kind of reservation system you want. You’ll have to figure something out manually. It would be helpful to other people if you come back here and post what you did to give other people ideas.

Best of luck with your event.

7. Taryn says:

How do you, once you’ve created an event, RSVP for people? I know that you used to be able to…I hate it when people say “yea I’m coming” but don’t RSVP yes.

8. Charlene Kingston says:

I hate that, too. But unfortunately, Facebook’s event management only works if people RSVP for themselves. :-(

9. Jim says:

Hi Charlene,
    I have an event which I created using my business’ page. I want to send all the guests a message, so I clicked “send guests a message”, typed it up, and sent it. It appears in my sent messages just fine, however, nobody seems to have received it. Any idea what the problem is here, and how I can fix it?
    Thanks

10. Charlene Kingston says:

I’m not exactly sure what happened to your message. But I do have bad news for you. According to Facebook, a page administrator cannot send a message to the people who are attending an event. (https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=218066228212658#Can-I-message-all-people-attending-an-event-hosted-by-my-Page?) I know the option is there on the screen. I know that people who schedule events as people can message the attendees. I think this is a limitation of business pages, and that having the option visible is misleading.

The best way to get a message out is just to post on your Facebook wall, or send an email to the people who are on your email list. Facebook doesn’t give you a way to reach your goal. I know, it’s not good. But it’s how Facebook works for now. We can always hope it will change in the future.

Charlene

11. Jim says:

Thanks for your reply Charlene. The thing that’s confusing me is that I received a message last week, which was sent from an event just like ours (where the event was hosted by a business page). So I’m not sure why it worked for that person, but not for us.
    My problem is that a lot of the people that have RSVP’ed to our event don’t “like” our business page. I have friends who have invited their friends to the event, and so the only way to reach everybody is through the event page. Our tickets have nearly sold out and I need a way to let those that are planning on attending that this is the case. It’s really frustrating me!

12. Charlene Kingston says:

I understand your frustration.

It’s possible that the other event message actually came from a person who is a page admin but wasn’t using Facebook as the page. If you still have that message, do a little research. It’s hard to for me to set up test events because they get published to my online community. So there’s a limit to what I can research through activity.

Facebook is actually not how I would invite people to an event. I’d use an online service like EventBrite or one of the many Twitter-based invitation services. They provide better RSVP and can issue tickets. For next time consider that. You set up the event on the service (like EventBrite) and then simply advertise it on Facebook. You have to make it clear that a Facebook RSVP doesn’t get you a ticket! So there is no perfect way to share an event on Facebook, not even with outside ticketing services.

Sigh.

13. John McCallum says:

Hello Charlene,

I’m having difficulty with my event. It’s public and there is this one pest who keeps commenting with negative/hateful things. I’ve removed him from the invite list but was unable to block him (followed the steps above). How can I deal with him, other than reporting him to Facebook as I’ve done that countless time.

14. Charlene Kingston says:

I recommend making no fuss over him at all. As the event admin, you should be able to delete his postings on the event. Just do that simply and quietly.

I’ve got an article about blog trolls that also might give you an idea or two for how to permanently deal with him. (http://socialmediadiyworkshop.com/2010/03/blog-trolls/)

Good luck!

15. Jade says:

Hi there.. on a slightly different slant – I often am invited to large events (which I don’t wish to go to) where the Admin has not allowed users to see the invitees or those that are going/maybe’s etc

The trouble is when you cannot see the guest list, you cannot “remove yourself” from the event – you can only decline or accept etc.

Any thoughts as to how to get around this?

Much appreciated! :)

16. Charlene Kingston says:

Hi Jade. That’s an interesting question. I don’t use Facebook personally as much as I do for business, so I may not have the best answer for you. I can tell you that Events is actually a Facebook app, and as an app, it has settings including privacy. I do know that you can block specific people from inviting you to events (https://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=211763458854062#How-can-I-block-event-invitations-from-a-specific-friend?).

Here’s a link to the Help Center topics around personal privacy and apps. At first glance, nothing jumped out to me as the solution to your problem. But perhaps you can track something down that will help you. (https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=167652123295204)

And if you do figure it out, please post your solution here. I’m sure someone else has the same question. Good luck!

17. Jade says:

Thanks Charlene – appreciate your reply. I’ll keep working on it but suffice to say, I can’t yet see a work around or a solution. Have a great week!

18. Chris says:

Hi Charlene,

I’m just wondering, now that Facebook has changed the event systems again, how can you add multiple admins to the event? It was in the event edit tab after you make the event but now it doesn’t show so I have no idea how to do it anymore =/

19. Charlene Kingston says:

I’m not sure how to do it, and with the flux of my pages with timeline, I can’t really research anything this week. I’m sorry I can’t help right now. If you figure it out, please do post your findings here. I’m sure it will help others.

20. Lis says:

Hello!

Is there a way for RSVPs to go to an email address? (As in, someone joins the event and a notification can be sent to an email.)

Thanks!

21. Charlene Kingston says:

I’ve never seen that on Facebook. If you need that kind of event registration tools, I recommend that you use an online tool like Eventbrite. Facebook just doesn’t provide that level of service.

22. Lis says:

Thanks for your reply!

23. Brittney E. says:

I have an event on facebook, and in an effort to re-send invites with a personal message I deleted quite a few people off the event list so I could send them new invites. Now it won’t let me re-invite these people. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

24. Charlene Kingston says:

There might be a way to do that, but I don’t have time today to research it. Go to the help center for events and see what it says about univited or blocked people. Dig around there. There might be a way to undo it. But if you can’t find it, you will have to reach people using contacts outside of Facebook. This is an example of why you need an email list and can’t rely on Facebook as your primary way to contact people. Too many little things can go wrong on Facebook, and you don’t have their contact info.

Good luck!

25. Sam says:

I do not have the little x’s to remove people from an event I created.. How can I fix this??

26. Charlene Kingston says:

You need to contact Facebook and report the problem. Just go to the help center.

27. Scott says:

I have used events quite frequently in the past. I am in the Kansas City area and when I have events in the KC area it is very easy because there is a filter in the invite pull down menu for friends in the Kansas City Area. It would be great if I could add filters for my friends in different areas.

Is there a way to do this?

28. Charlene Kingston says:

Facebook has recently made many changes to events. I don’t know if this is possible. I suggest that you use the Help Center to research this option.

29. Omar says:

HI,

I Created An Event By My Page, And When I Try To Edit It And Click “Save” .. The From Is Closed And Nothing Is Saved .

And Another Problem .. I Don’t Want To Add Place For The Event On It .. I Just Want To Write The Place In the Info. .. What Should I do ?

30. Charlene Kingston says:

You need to contact Facebook to get help with events. https://www.facebook.com/help/somethings-not-working

31. Omar says:

Thanks,

But They Reply With : “Thanks for taking the time to report this to us. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing an issue using Facebook. While we aren’t responding to every report, we may reach out to you for more information as we investigate this.”

Any Help ?

32. Charlene Kingston says:

I understand that you are frustrated and need help. Facebook recently changed events, and I don’t know how the updated events work. I can’t help anyone right now with events.

33. tina says:

Hi Charlene,

I created an event yesterday and made it “Private, invite guests only”, “hide guest list”. However eventhough the guest list is hidden, when people RSVP it still shows up on the wall of the event “john smith” is going. Therefore all the guests that are now invited can read on the wall who’s actually attending or not.

Is there anyway to hide this from posting up on the event wall? In the past the wall was completely disabled and noone was able to see who’s going. I’ve noticed “ppl going to my event” also show up on the news feed of mutual friends.

Please help me if you’re familiar with this.

Thanks

34. Charlene Kingston says:

Hi Tina, Facebook recently made a lot of changes to events and how they work for businesses. I simply haven’t spent enough time with the updated events features to be able to help you. You are right, there used to be a way to do exactly what you want. I wish I could help you more. Good luck with it, and do come back and share if you figure it out. There are lots of people trying to figure out Facebook events right now.

35. hello,

Hello,

thank you for your help Charlene kingstone,

I created an event in facebook. And i can only see who is going and maybe and not (declined) and also the invited. But i want to block someone who is just swearing and making troubles in the posts of the comments.

when i enter this person account and block him, it is just that i can not see the comments but it is there and maybe he is able to post again. So it is not working. If he is in my page i made the event from. i would find him and delete him someway just if he tried to comment. But he is just commenting in the even and making problems.

It is very urgent.

estephan chami

36. Charlene Kingston says:

I’m sorry that you are having problems. Facebook recently changed events and I stopped using them. Unfortunately, this means that I can’t give you any suggestions. Good luck with it.

37. Yolanda says:

I have created a 30 day event on facebook, we are on day 26 -by changing the event date each day – but i am getting feedback from numerous friends that i invited- that they are receiving way to many notifications – which are a combination of my and whoever writes on the event wall (posta and updates)- how can i limit the notifications everyone see’s- i don’t want to annoy folks, but at the same time keep the momentum going, receive rsvps until day 30? Please advise-thank you!

38. Charlene Kingston says:

Unfortunately, Yolanda, Facebook is a very poor event management system. You don’t get control over most things. It doesn’t work very well, and it’s features are not flexible or adjustable. I recommend that you use a different event management system in the future.

39. Erin says:

Hi
    I made a private event and invited a few people. After I made the event I wanted to invite a few more people but I can’t figure out how to add others. Is there a button I’m just missing somewhere or I don’t know what.
    Thanks

40. Charlene Kingston says:

Erin, I’m sorry but I can’t help you with Facebook events. I stopped using Facebook events a few months back because I found them quite useless for my business.

41. Sarah says:

Hi,

I set up an event in December and the event date was 31/12/2012. I’m trying to change the event date now to December 2013 instead but it wont let me. Do you think it’s because the date has already passed?

thanks

42. Charlene Kingston says:

I don’t know, Sarah. I’ve given up on Facebook events because they don’t have the features I need for my business events. Good luck with it.