Want to build your business Facebook page? Here are instructions along with important tips for getting off to a great start. (Part 1 of 2)
- Before You Start: You want to create a Facebook business page. You understand why a Facebook page is the best option for your business. You have a personal Facebook account.
- Learning level: 2 | Getting Started
- Article Last Updated: Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Selecting Your Facebook Business Type
Before you can created your Facebook business page, you need to select the business type for your page. The business type you select determines the features for your page. After you select a business type, if you realize you would prefer a different type, you can’t change your business type. You must delete your page and start over.
Business types fall into three general categories:
- Local Business or Place.
- Company, Organization, or Institution.
- Brand or Product.
- Artist, Band, or Public Figure.
- Cause or Community.
For most businesses, you can decide easily which category is most appropriate. However, you may have some difficulty choosing the best sub-category because Facebook doesn’t provide any supporting information.
To Add Your Business To Facebook:
These instructions assume that you have a personal Facebook account. If you don’t have a personal Facebook account, consider opening one based on the limitations of a business account.
- Log in to your Facebook account (if necessary).
- Go to Create A Page.
- Click on the appropriate business type. Choose carefully because you cannot change this later.
- Choose the appropriate business category from the drop-down list (if available). You can change the business category later if necessary.
- Type all requested information for your business type. Each business type requires different information at this step.
- Check that you agree to the Facebook Pages terms of service.
- Click Get Started.
Facebook makes sure that your business page name is available and displays the new blank new page. Facebook also publishes your new business page to the community.
To keep your new page private while you are working on the details:
- Click Edit Page. Facebook displays the page settings options.
- Click Manage Permissions (if necessary).
- At Page Visibility, check Only admins can see this Page checkbox.
- Click Save Changes.
Tip: You can use Facebook’s search feature to find your page later. You might also bookmark your new business page using your browser bookmarks or favorites feature.
See Create a Facebook Page For Your Business (Part 2) for instructions on completing your Facebook Page.
Your turn: What did you learn when you created your business Facebook page? Share you experience here.