Many people use Google Maps to find businesses and get directions online. It’s a great place to list your storefront business. If your business is not on Google Maps, you can add it quickly and easily. If your business already appears on Google Maps, you can take charge of the listing and update it to include additional information for your customers. You can put your business on the map with Google Maps.
- Before You Start: You have a storefront business.
- Learning Level: 2 | Getting Started
- Article Last Updated: Saturday, August 11, 2012
Google Maps Business Listings
Online maps have been a popular feature for many years, with MapQuest in the lead position. However, in 2009, Google Maps beat Mapquest as the most popular online mapping service. Google Maps offers many services, including:
- View a map, street view (video), or satellite image of a destination.
- Search for places and businesses on the map.
- Save locations you visit frequently.
- View a list of businesses located near a destination.
- Mobile access to mapping information.
Google Maps business listings include a wide range of information. Some of these may not be appropriate for your business. Take a few minutes to line up these resources before you start adding your business to Google Maps.
- Daily hours listing.
- Payment options.
- Up to 10 business photos.
- Up to 5 videos listed on YouTube.
- Additional information, such as parking, services, and email address.
You can add this information when you create your business listing, or you can add them later.
Add Your Business To Google Maps
Is your business on Google Maps? Do a quick search. If your business is not already listed, here’s how to add it.
- Go to Google Places (Local Business Center).
- Click List Your Business.
- Select your country, type your business phone number, and click Find Business Information. Google searches for business based on your phone number.
- Fill out the business information form.
- Click Submit.
- Google asks for your preferred validation method. You must verify your business listing either by phone or mail. Select your validation method.
- Click Finish.
Claiming Your Business Listing
If your business already appears on Google Maps but you did not add it, Google gives you the option to claim the listing. This allows you to edit and enhance your business listing. You can update your listing with hours, payment information, photos, videos, and any additional information appropriate for your business.
- Locate your business on Google Maps and click More Info (in the pop-up or the description).
- Google displays a full page business description.
- In the blue bar at the top, click Business Owner?
- Google takes you to the Google Places page for claiming your business listing.
- Choose Edit My Business Inforamtion and click Continue.
- Google displays the business information form with the existing data. You can edit or add to this information.
- Click Submit.
- Google asks for your preferred validation method. You must validate your business listing either by phone or mail. Select your validation method.
- Click Finish.
After the validation, you can update your Google Map listing at any time.
Your turn: Is your business listed on Google Maps? Did you list it yourself, or did you claim the existing listing? Share what you have learned here.